Author Topic: What can you do when..  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
What can you do when..
« on: September 13, 2011, 01:16:49 PM »
After re-reading the rules for subdual damage, we have been doing something technically incorrect.  If a character has taken a combined amount of subdual and real damage equal to their total hit points, then they are supposed to be allowed to take move actions until their real damage equals their total hp.

We have played in the past that they are unconscious.  Should we stay with what we have been doing, or change the rule to its original way?

A note that it would not have changed the past tournaments, as you are basically out of a fight when you are reduced to move only.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
Re: What can you do when..
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 08:02:35 PM »
After re-reading the rules for subdual damage, we have been doing something technically incorrect.  If a character has taken a combined amount of subdual and real damage equal to their total hit points, then they are supposed to be allowed to take move actions until their real damage equals their total hp.

We have played in the past that they are unconscious.  Should we stay with what we have been doing, or change the rule to its original way?

A note that it would not have changed the past tournaments, as you are basically out of a fight when you are reduced to move only.

I like what the rule actually says. You are so beat up, all you can do is stumble away.  Makes sense.. I say change it.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 10:05:01 PM »
Isn't that only if the 2 values are exactly equal? If nonlethal damage is greater than your hit points, you go unconscious.

Here's what the SRD says:

"When your nonlethal damage equals your current hit points, you’re staggered.

When your nonlethal damage exceeds your current hit points, you fall unconscious."

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 10:29:31 PM »
That is a good clarification from the SRD, so the instance is rare, but it did happen to occur last session, for the 1st time, to me.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 11:05:46 PM »
Looks like we have been basically doing it right except for the very rare instance so I say we just do what the SRD says.  So I guess put me down for changing it.