Author Topic: Area of Expertise  (Read 3754 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Area of Expertise
« on: August 26, 2011, 09:56:44 PM »
I am creating a complete list of areas of expertise for the crafters.  Here is what I have so far:

Animals
Clay
Cloth
Fibers (hair, rope)
Food
Gems
Glass
Leather
Liquid
Literature
Plants
Mechanics
Metals
Stone
Wood
Visual Art

Note that although this ability is the same as the Tinker class ability, the list of area is different.  The only one that exists currently in both class's list is mechanics.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
Re: Area of Expertise
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 08:54:21 PM »
I am creating a complete list of areas of expertise for the crafters.  Here is what I have so far:

Animals
Clay
Cloth
Fibers (hair, rope)
Food
Gems
Glass
Leather
Liquid
Literature
Plants
Mechanics
Metals
Stone
Wood
Visual Art

Note that although this ability is the same as the Tinker class ability, the list of area is different.  The only one that exists currently in both class's list is mechanics.

That's a hard one.  Fibers and Cloth are basically the same.  Both are related to Plants.  Visual Art is too generic with Sculpting and Painting.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 09:48:28 AM »
I agree that the arts need to broken down.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 11:33:15 AM »
So break visual arts into: Sculpting and Painting/Drawing

For plants I was thinking more living, and then for fibers, non-living.  Not sure which words best describe that.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 12:14:58 PM »
Feat idea:

Tools of the Trade
You possess a deep understanding of your art, which includes knowing how to most effectively use the weapons you craft.
Prereq: Craft(weaponsmithing) 10, Area of Expertise(weaponsmithing), Weapon Focus
Benefit: Select any type of weapon in which you have the weapon focus feat. While wielding a weapon of this type that you have crafted yourself, you may use the fighter chart for determining your base attack bonus for your crafter levels. This applies only to your crafter levels.
Special: You may select this feat multiple times. Each time you do, it applies to a different weapon type.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 10:42:57 PM »
I like it.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 10:56:48 PM »
That feat could also apply to tinkers with area of expertise(firearms). In that case thy should use the cleric table for BAB.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 11:03:28 PM »
You are correct.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 08:52:02 PM »
Modified for tinkers and bowyers:

Tools of the Trade
You possess a deep understanding of your art, which includes knowing how to most effectively use the weapons you craft.

Prereq: Craft(weaponsmithing, bowmaking, or clicker) 10, Area of Expertise(weaponsmithing, bowyer, firearms), Weapon Focus

Benefit: Select any type of weapon in which you have the weapon focus feat. While wielding a weapon of this type that you have crafted yourself, you may use the next best base attack bonus chart for the determining your BAB for the class levels that granted you the Area of Expertise prerequisite (crafter or tinker). For instance, a Fighter 4/Tinker 4 with this feat and 10 ranks in Craft(clicker), Area of Expertise(firearms), and Weapon Focus(firearms) would use the cleric chart for determining his BAB for his four tinker levels, and would therefore have a BAB of +7 when wielding a firearm or epbul he crafted himself.  A Crafter 8 specializing in weaponsmithing would use the fighter chart for his crafter levels and would therefore have a BAB of +8 with a weapon he crafted himself.

Special: You may select this feat multiple times. Each time you do, it applies to a different weapon type. This feat may not be used to gain a BAB for the purpose of qualifying for feats or prestige classes.